Service and network reforms
Maximise and reform how transport policy, plans, infrastructure and services deliver social outcomes and drive economic recovery.
- Deliver integrated activities and reforms that maximise efficiencies of the transport network, complement the Big Build and assist Victoria’s recovery from COVID-19.
- Invest in new and upgraded trains, trams, buses and infrastructure across metropolitan and regional Victoria in ways that drive efficiencies, sustainability, innovation, social outcomes and economic recovery.
- Ensure balanced and responsible financial management to maximise efficiency and value for money within the budget.
- Demonstrate whole-of-government leadership to help shape Victoria’s recovery and connect people to jobs, schools, freight, services and each other.
Key initiatives include
- Big Build projects including Level Crossing Removal Projects, Metro Tunnel, High Capacity Metro Trains, M80 Upgrade, Western Rail Plan including Geelong Fast Rail, West Gate Tunnel, North East Link, Melbourne Airport Rail Link, Regional Rail Revival, Cranbourne Line Upgrade, Hurstbridge Line Upgrade, Rural and Regional Roads Package, Monash Freeway Upgrade, Mickleham Road Update (Stage 1). See bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects
- Building Works stimulus package
- Legislative and regulatory reforms
- Murray Basin Rail Project
- Design and manufacture of 100 Next Generation trams
- Replacement of regional trains with Vlocity carriages
- Tram improvements
- Better bus services including Victoria’s Bus Plan, zero emission bus trial and Better Bus Fund
- Metropolitan Network Modernisation Program
- Intersections upgrades across Victoria, including Keeping Ballarat Moving
- Better train services for Bendigo and central Victoria
- Car parks and station upgrades
- Victorian Ports Strategy and Ports Victoria start-up
- Fishing regulation and quota management
- Network pipeline management
- Western Interstate Freight Terminal
- Northern Corridor Transport and Land Use Plan
- Commercial negotiations for metropolitan train, tram, and ticketing services
Measures of success include
- Projects completed within agreed scope, timeframes and budget
- Major road improvement projects completed
- Containers transported by rail under the Mode Shift Incentive Scheme program