The Department of Transport and Planning develops regulatory policy, legislation and regulations on behalf of the Minister for Transport Infrastructure and the Suburban Rail Loop, the Minister for Public Transport, Roads and Road Safety, and the Minister for Ports and Freight and Fishing and Boating.
Transport Integration Act
The Transport Integration Act is Victoria's principal transport Act, bringing together the whole transport portfolio under one statute for the first time.
The Act informs our vision for an integrated and sustainable transport system that contributes to an inclusive, prosperous and environmentally responsible state.
The legislation tells us what we need to aim for in our work.
The six legislated objectives are: social and economic inclusion; economic prosperity; environmental sustainability; integration of transport and land use; efficiency, coordination and reliability; safety, health and wellbeing.
The Act also sets eight principles that guide our decision-making.
We are striving to deliver a transport system that is fair for everyone, no matter where they live.
Other principles include: understanding the perspective of the transport system user; stakeholder engagement and community participation; and integrated decision making through coordination between all levels of government and government agencies and the private sector.
Integrated transport legislation is essential to the creation of an integrated transport system.
Other transport legislation
The creation of an integrated transport system is assisted by the integration of transport legislation.
Transport legislation as defined under the TIA includes:
- Accident Towing Services Act 2007
- Bus Safety Act 2009
- Bus Services Act 2009
- Business Franchise (Petroleum Products) Act 1979
- Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Act 2017
- EastLink Project Act 2004
- Marine (Drug, Alcohol and Pollution Control) Act 1988
- Marine Safety Act 2010
- The Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law
- The Marine (Domestic Commercial Vessel National Law Application) Act 2013
- Melbourne City Link Act 1995
- Port Management Act 1995
- Rail Management Act 1996
- The Rail Safety (Local Operations) Act 2006
- The Rail Safety National Law Application Act 2013
- The Rail Safety National Law (Victoria)
- Road Management Act 2004
- Road Safety Act 1986
- Tourist and Heritage Railways Act 2010
- Transport Accident Act 1986
- Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) Act 1983
- Transport Integration Act 2010
- Transport (Safety Schemes Compliance and Enforcement) Act 2014
- Any other Act which is declared to be transport legislation by that other Act such as the Transport (Safety Schemes Compliance and Enforcement) Act 2014 and the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Act 2017
- Any regulations or other subordinate instrument made under an Act which is transport legislation
Key public transport regulations
The transport ticketing regulations provide a robust legal framework which outlines the obligations, defences and penalties for ticketing offences, and support the Victorian Government's fare compliance and enforcement activities.
The transport conduct regulations establish an integrated set of conduct requirements for all Victorian public transport for the first time, by merging bus passenger conduct offences with train and tram passenger conduct offences.